Sunday, May 29, 2011

Golf For a Cure

I’m not sure how many people are aware that my grandfather played in the PGA but he did and was one of my heroes. He always told me that I could do anything that I put my mind to and I don’t know why, but I believed him. Golf was something that came almost naturally to him and it was his passion. He was a very persistent and determined man and I admired him and loved him dearly. I remember always having random golf conversations about golfers from the past like his colleagues from many tournaments. I remember asking one day about a golfer named Bobby Jones. My grandfather never played with him but appeared to admire him, too. I bring up this story because Bobby Jones was also afflicted with Syringomyelia.
Bobby Jones, although undoubtedly going through so much pain still played golf with a spirit that many could only dream of doing. He persisted through this disorder with grace and he didn’t give up on his dreams. Mr. Jones is the only player in history to this day to have ever won a grand slam. He accomplished this in 1930. Can you imagine going through excruciating pain in your back and swinging a golf club and walking for four straight days in a golf tournament? I am in awe of this man and will always hold a great respect for him because of this determination. Bobby Jones died in 1971 due to his Syringomyelia.
There is a golf tournament honoring Bobby Jones and his SM affliction that all proceeds go to Syringomyelia research. The 33rd annual Bobby Jones Open will be played this year in Walnut Creek, California June 13-15, 2011. The only participants for this golf tournament are people named Robert, Bob, or Bobby Jones. The organization has now given around $250,000 to the research of Syringomyelia. I am not a Bobby, but I am afflicted with the disorder and I pray that this golf tournament will prove to be a great success this year and will give even more money to SM research.
One day, I will have a golf tournament so that I can provide support for those people who are diagnosed with this disorder. It’s a dream to be able to give to an organization that might be discovering the cure to what I have been diagnosed with. I think it is only appropriate to have a golf tournament because my grandfather’s love of golf led me to be intrigued by Bobby Jones. The fact that Bobby Jones and I have been both diagnosed with SM makes this tournament even more appropriate. I hope that you all participate whenever I am able to have this golf tournament.
To learn more about Bobby Jones please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Jones_(golfer)
To learn more about the Bobby Jones Open please visit: http://bobbyjonesopen.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment