Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Every Possible Symptom - Yep, I Got 'Em!

I had a pretty terrible few weeks, I have to say. I hate to admit that because I’m trying to be so positive and strong through this entire process but these past few weeks have been a battle for me. Last week I was traveling for work and I was in a lot of pain and had most of my Syringomyelia symptoms. I ended up coming home early on Thursday due to my symptoms.

I began feeling “funny” which is the only way I can describe it to anyone. I felt very strange like every one of my nerve endings were highly sensitive but not painful, just sensitive. Have you ever had restless leg symptoms? That is basically like what my entire body felt like, except “light.” If any of you know me personally I am a six foot woman with a not so tiny build; light is not what I would describe me as being. Nevertheless, I felt strange so I drove home. While speaking to my family and friends at my mom’s business I had an episode of syncope. I’m still not sure what happened but I was quite weak. I am able to predict when these happen within about 5 minutes but once I start feeling “light” or sometimes “heavy” I will sit down and prepare myself. I’m quite lucky I can predict them! I ended up going home because I felt I needed to sleep but I called my doctor once I arrived. He was worried because I never, and I do mean never, call him because I am THAT hard headed. He made me go to the emergency room. There I had a series of tests (bloodwork, EKG, etc.). They didn’t find anything wrong with me but I will be having an MRI done tomorrow to ensure that the syrinx (cyst) has not grown. Yep, I finally caved.

The one thing I found when I went to the ER is that not every doctor is even aware of what syringomyelia is exactly. I had previously begun making business cards to hand to people who were interested in learning about my disorder. I felt like I could just hand them a card with my diagnosis, symptoms and my blog address for more information. Unfortunately I had not finished this card prior to the ER visit. I did, however, complete it once I got back home and was feeling better. I now have them with me in my purse so people who are interested can learn more about my disorder. I’ve shared it below. The logo and the card (except the border) were created and designed by me. 

(Front)

(Back)

I had every single symptom I've EVER had with syringomyelia in the last few weeks including: weakness, neck & back pain, numbness in the arms, hands and feet, twitches (entire body), headaches, migraines, syncope, foot cramps, and many other little idiosyncrasies. 

Thanks for all the prayers for those of you who were aware of my terrible weeks! I pray tomorrow will be a better day and I can share a positive story!

No comments:

Post a Comment