Monday, July 25, 2011

Coping with a Chronic Illness

I’ve been having some difficulty this week. My back has been really battling me and I have been twitching more. I have been working diligently to figure out what I can do to eliminate this pain, but it’s hard sometimes. I have been trying so hard to be positive about everything but it is quite difficult sometimes. I’m sure those of you who have been diagnosed with a chronic illness have a difficult time coping, too. I found some tips for coping and I have listed them below.
“Here are some other suggestions for coping with chronic illness:
  • Stay connected. Establish and maintain quality relationships with friends and family. Many health organizations also sponsor support groups composed of other people experiencing similar challenges. These groups will not only aid your own well-being, but also provide rewarding opportunities to help others.
  • Take care of yourself. Don't allow worries about your illness to get in the way of eating property, getting rest and exercise, and having fun.
  • Maintain a daily routine of work, errands, household chores, and hobbies as much as possible. This will provide you with a feeling of stability amid the chaos and uncertainty of your illness.
The American Psychological Association Practice Directorate gratefully acknowledges the assistance of Rosalind Dorlen, PsyD, ABPP, and the Council on Psychological Health of the New Jersey Psychological Health Association in developing this fact sheet.”
I am going to keep my chin up, my head held high and live with the knowledge that I will someday understand the reason for this disorder.
“Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see a shadow.” -Hellen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment