Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Take the Good With the Bad

I have had my fair share of ups and downs in the last several days. I have also found a direct correlation to the pain and I wish it was a great one. Basically what I have found is that if I have a good day, it is always followed by at least one really bad one. I found this out this weekend by having a really good day on Sunday. Monday and Tuesday were really terrible for me physically. I had severe back pain on both days and then I had a migraine on Tuesday.
I wish I was able to just have more than one good day in a row, or really have a good day followed by a moderate day. It’s scary to think that every time I have a good day, a bad one will follow. I’ve become fearful of the good days and that’s not at all what I wanted to have in my life. I could dwell on the negative that this brings or I could look at the fact that I really must take advantage of the good days by doing the things that I won’t be able to do on the bad days.
It’s hard not to be positive when the negative is staring me in the face, so I thought I’d share a bit about what is staring me in the face daily besides my green eyes. There are a ton of things that I am no longer allowed to do and things I shouldn’t do. Below is a very small list of them and I thought that it would be an interesting thing for you all to see.
Avoid activities that may make symptoms worse If you've been diagnosed with syringomyelia, avoid any activity that involves heavy lifting, straining or putting excessive force on your spine. Examples of activities to avoid include:
·         Playing high-impact sports, such as football and Rugby
·         Riding roller coasters
·         Sky diving
·         Straining during a bowel movement
·         Excessive coughing (talk to your doctor about treatment if coughing persists)
Although you will not find me on a roller coaster or jumping out of a plane, you will find me spending every day grateful to have the opportunity to live my life. It may be a life that is not quite as eventful as it would have been had I not been diagnosed with Syringomyelia, but it will be full none-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment