Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What Syringomyeia "Looks Like"

Yesterday was probably the worst day of the weekend (physically) and I completely avoided my hometown festival all together. I had a migraine and severe neck pain. I think I’ve hit an emotional wall with this lately. With everything that is going on and the rapid progression of my symptoms, I’m really scared. Something I’ve been battling internally is the fact that my syrinx (cyst) has likely grown. That is my team of doctors’ thought, anyhow. I’m scared to find that out though because it’s possible that I will end up needing surgery and I am not mentally ready for the ramifications of that…I’m terrified.
I realized that I have never shared what my disorder “looks like.” Although I do not have a copy of my MRI to share with you all at this time, I would like to share a drawing that I found that will depict what I have inside my spine. You can find this website at: http://www.backpain-guide.com/Chapter_Fig_folders/Ch08_Congen_Folder/Ch08_Images/08-4_Syringomyelia.jpg
My cyst runs from the middle of my neck to my shoulder blades inside of my spinal cord, just to give you an indication about how big my cyst is. Hope it helps give some perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment